Brief Description of the Project
ECOWAS Medical Village (EMV) will be an innovate concept of a medical village to provide solutions to healthcare needs for ECOWAS citizens. It will be master-planned facilities that will offer superior primary health care complemented by open-access to convenient services and specialist practices, to save patients of the time and money. It will be medical tourism villages that will provide the ECOWAS region a one stop comprehensive health care facility. It is a new PPP state of the art medical village.
The Eco-Medical Village (EMV) will take place in Accra on a 41 acre land and will Consist of the following components:
- A 380-Ward State of the Art International Hospital Complex, for the top hierarchy and upper class citizens and residents of the West African sub region, who usually go to South Africa, North America, Europe, Cuba and India for medical care. The hospital is intended to be located in Accra, the Capital of Ghana with Satellite Units in all the countries in the sub-region. The Eco Medical Hospital will have:
- 300- General Wards ( a Ward per Patient)
- 40-Suite Wards: c/ w lounge, study, 3 ensuite rooms, etc.
- 40- Special Wards for Disaster Management and in case of emergencies in the ECOWAS sub- region
- Underground Parking Space for 1,000 Vehicles
- General OPD Section
- General Medicine Centre
- Urology and Nephrology (Dialysis)Centre
- Ophthalmology Centre
- Stomatology Centre() Cardiology Centre
- Burn Centre
- Plastic and Reconstruction Surgery Centre
- Neuro Surgery and Neuro Science Centre
- Centre for Blood Diseases and Cancer Management
- Orthopedic & Sport Medicine Centre
- Diagnostics and Imaging Centre
- Blood Bank
- Dispensary & Stores
- Nurses Station
- Paramedic Services with Helicopters and Fleet of Ambulances
Each of the Medical Centres will have at least 2 Theatre Units, and each unit will have Discussion/ Briefing Room, Anaesthesia Room plus Storage, Scrub-up Room prior to surgery, the Theatre, After Surgery Wash down Room, 5 Recovery Wards for people and 5 Intensive Care Units. The major centres i.e. for diagnostics will have back-up equipment for higher reliability.
- A 120-Ward State of the Art International Hospital for Women and Children
- A Medical Shopping Mall for ‘Everything Heath Care’
Hotels (2 Types i.e. 4-Star 150 Trendy Executive Room Hotel and 2-Star 150 Standard Room Hotel) for the Families and Staff of Patients and Potential Patients
- Home for the Elderly, comprising of 130 Rooms; employing a highly trained team and providing top level care
- Housing Schemes and Apartment Complexes for the general public and for Medical Specialists. These specialist could refer their patients to an address in the EMV periodical basis. The doctors will have access to Support Staff and to Diagnostic Analysis and use of the Theatres, using offices in them Medical Mall
- Insurance Scheme: The insurance scheme, which is to be known as Eco-Med Insurance, is a closely related project to the International Hospital. The Eco-Med Card will be sold in the major banks in the West African sub-region to citizens of ECOWAS. The premium will have 4 grades i.e.Gold, Platinum, Silver and Bronze, targeting the middle and upper class citizens of ECOWAS sub- region. Each grade will have its insurance policy and corresponding benefits.
- Donor Card Scheme: The donor card idea is to encourage citizens of the sub-region to undertake to donate organs in case of fatal accidents. The families of the donors are proposed to receive support for each participation. The idea of the support or assurance is to enhance the development of donor participation in West Africa.
- Paramedic and Nursing Training College: The project will be a centre of excellence in training Paramedic and Nurses for the countries in the sub-region
- Paramedic Services with Air and Road Ambulances
Within the first 15 years of operation, the EMV will develop the Satellite Hospital Units into full International Hospitals, thus replicating the idea in every country in the Sub region.
The staff of the Eco Medical Village and its culture will reflect its international nature. For this, specialists from around the world and from West African countries, who are multilingual and with inter-cultural background will render services to the ‘guests’ of the EMV. The project will have Linkages with major Pharmaceutical Companies, Universities, Hospitals and Health Care Research Centres in the World, In short, the project would be the leading Health Care Centre in the sub-region and would rival any such project in any part of the world. The main target of the project comprises the citizens in the West African sub-region, who usually go to other parts of the world for medical check-up and care.
The EMV will be international in nature and ethos. It will provide services with modern patient and guest centres designs, facilities and technology to principally improve the health of S.16 patients and create a magnificent working environment for staff. The idea is to give a five star ultra-serene environment, approach and attention to patients and guests to all HMV facilities. Multi-lingual Guest Service Agents or Concierge be assigned to patients/ guests and potential patients/guests and receive them either at the airport or the hospital. The Concierge will plan the itinerary and undertake any other plans i.e. taking the patient’s family to visit the Accra Eco Park, and other tourism hotspots in Ghana, shopping malls, etc
Finally, it is important to indicate that for the Patients/Guests’ of the EM\ and Eco-Med Policy Holders, the focus will be promoting health with various mailings of simple information as guidance to good health, protecting health by undertaking planned check-ups and restoring the health of those, who have had an affliction of some sort may patronise its services.